Processing & Packaging
Food waste at processing and packaging
It is currently estimated that 160 million tons of food are wasted at the processing and packaging level globally each year. This means that 10% of all food wasted along the supply chain is lost at this stage alone. This represents an economic opportunity of $130 billion (BCG, 2018). Since food waste occurs for many different reasons across the supply chain, we decided to list the main causes at processing and packaging based on the literature, reports and others sources out there.
- Quality standards and product specifications (elimination of substandard products)
- Trimmings and byproducts during standardised processing
- Lack of processing facilities and equipment
- Belief that 'disposing is cheaper than reusing'
- Product changes and machinery recalibration/ reinitialization
If you have an issue or opportunity that we could help with then we’d love to hear from you. Feel free to contact us.